Monday, June 30, 2008

Say It Ain't So!!

MIA Retired With A Bang At Bonnaroo

June 16, 2008 · Print This Article

Bonnaroo may have brought some “firsts” for many, but for rapper Maya Arulpragasam, aka M.I.A, it was her last.

M.I.A recently canceled her upcoming European tour and told the Bonnaroo crowd during her Saturday afternoon show, “her last gig”, not once but three times.

“This is my last show, and I’m glad I’m spending it with all my hippies. Thanks for coming to my last gig.”

Then she left the stage with a roar fit for Metallica that lasted long after she was gone. The performance was all the buzz throughout the campgrounds, described as one of the most high-intensity, electrifying parties of the festival. She brought “girls” and “boys” on stage to jam with her, dancing from start to finish. For her encore, she incorporated Nigerian rapper African Boy and ended with “Paper Planes” that got everyone under the tent and beyond pumping their fists in the air to the sounds of her gunshot hooks.

When she walked off stage, there was an undeniable knowing amongst everyone in attendance they had just witnessed something truly amazing that possibly no one will ever get to experience again.

M.I.A. announced her engagement to The Exit singe/guitarist Benjamin Brewer, son to Warner Music Group CEO and chairman Edgar Bronfman Jr., at her Edmonton show just a few weeks ago.

We all hope this retirement is just a momentary lapse of judgment…

No comments: