Thursday, November 5, 2009

It's Been a Long Week


This week has been a looong one, and it's only Thursday. Usually I really don't type much, but I just had a Red Bull (sugar free) and a grande black. I'm in the student center looking over some photos for inspiration. I was looking a some of Perou's work and I noticed he had a journal, so I decided to post some of my thoughts. I think I'll start doing more of this through the life journey and make some changes to the blog. Nothing graphic-wise, though. For example, I will discontinue Wu-Tang Wednesday at the end of December. It will be formatted as more of a diary and things that interest me an make me different, like green pee haha.

So, I'm up for my conditional review next week and I've been having meetings with my advisor o make sure things go smoothly. Today I met with her after my large-format critique and we discussed what I'd talk about in my artist statement. I had already can prepared with one which discussed my progression and influences so far as a grad student at SCAD. She explained to me that large-format is the most important work for my portfolio. What? I'm studying towards my masters in Commercial photography, not fine art. If anything, it's the last thing I need to think about, but she may have a point if she meant diversifying my portfolio.

She told me that my artist statement should focus on and only on what I'm shooting in her class. That didn't make sense to me, because that doesn't show the type of photography that I'm training for. That would be like doing two finals for the same class. I told her this and I also told her that I had all my prints with me from Atlanta. She couldn't believe that I had them. "Well that changes everything," she said. "We need to set up another meeting..." Shit, man...I feel like SCAD is screwing me over. For example. She said that the SIX prerequisites that I was assigned were a waste of time. She was confused that I had take them because, the classes were not even on the list to be taken!!!

I feel like suing SCAD for wasting my time! Listen, I'm studying commercial photography, right. I've been going to SCAD part-time for two years and I will not begin taking my commercial and fashion classes until next year...I graduate in May! Today I feel like I've wasted alot of time and money!

No comments: